The best baby carriers and toddler carriers, 2019 and 2020 guide
If there is one product that’s really a life safer during those first months (or years!) of motherhood, it will definitely be a baby carrier or wrap. For me, it for sure was a life safer. I carried my little girl in a baby wrap during her first six months on this planet to sooth her and to feel her close to me whilst doing other things that needed to be done and at the age of 3 we still carry her in a toddler carrier while traveling the world.
If you’re looking for a baby wrap, a ring sling, mei tai or a baby carrier/toddler carrier then you’re at the right place to start! I’ve done a LOT of research and do have a LOT of experience with different wraps and carriers to share so I’ll hope that this page will give you some really good information and that you too can make the right carrier choice for you and your little baby. Because carrying your baby or older kid can be SO nice and helpful during the different stages of motherhood. You can read more about the benefits of baby wearing here.
Best carrier 2020 over all
Boba X carrier
This one is very new and looks a lot like the Tula FTG (or the other way around ;)). This carrier however does have a few things that are different compared to the Tula Free to Grow -which to us is the best carrier of 2018-.
So, to start with, what are the best things about the new Boba carrier?
- you can use this carrier from newborn up till your kid is a toddler (about 2 years old)
- no need to carry even your tiny newborn in an infant insert and no need to buy extra accessoiries.
- completely adjustable to your wishes and preferences, you can change the width, the height and it also has adjustable shoulder straps so it will always fit you as well as your little one and to offer great lumbar support
- a lot of nice and colorful designs to choose from.
That being said: up till this point the Boba X carrier does not differ much from the Tula carrierFree to Grow. There are some small differences though, let’s see what these are.
Boba X and Tula Free to Grow: the differences
- the Boba X carrier comes with shoulder straps which you can cross if you’d like
- when it comes to the price there is a small difference
- the new Boba carrier has a shoulder-belt which makes it possible to cling a shoulder bag onto it.
Last but definitely not least 😉 Boba has super cute doll carriers available to twin with your (oldest) mini!
Best front facing baby carrier
Years ago when baby carrying was kind of new (well at least in the Western world) and upcoming you could carry your kid front facing with most carriers. Later on it became known that in most cases this actually isn’t a good and ergonomic position for your baby to be in. And carried this way for a long time babies can receive too much sensations.
Nowadays Tula and Ergobaby have both designed fully ergonomic and baby friendly front facing carriers. Read more about the best forward facing baby carriers here.
Tula Explore carrier
Best front facing carrier – runner up (also: best hip carrier!)
Ergobaby Omni 360
This nice looking guy is very popular and there’s no wonder why. This carrier not only gives you the possibility to carry your child on your belly and your back, but this is also a front facing carrier AND a hip carrier. So with this carrier you can choose between four (!) positions to carry your little one.
- carry your kid in 4 possible positions, amongst one is facing forward position.
- even has a hip carry possibility, which makes this Ergo carrier different from most other carriers
- carry your child from newborn up to 1,5 years/2 years old, NO infant insert needed!
- made out of breathing mesh, which makes this carrier ideal in summer or on vacation
- You can choose to wear the shoulder belts straight or crossed over your back
- comes with a UPF 50+ tuck away baby hood which protects your baby from wind and sun
You can find more great front facing carriers here.
The best toddler baby carrier
Because those little toddler legs can get tired, too 😉
When it comes to toddlers and carrying they need other things than a little newborn baby. Older kids are heavier off course, and are also a LITTLE bit more agile. They want to have more freedom and the possibility to look around. It is also very important to make sure that the weight of your child is well balanced in the carrier. These are all things to keep in mind when looking for a toddler carrier.
The best toddler carrier is a toddler back carrier. This way you can carry the weight easily and your toddler can look around.
Tula Toddler carrier
- this beautiful carrier carries your kid from 25 up to 60 pounds. Compared to the Tula Free to Grow carrier which carries up to 45 punds this toddler back carrier gives even more room to grow!
- it can be used both in front as well in back carries
- the legs of your toddler are being fully supported through the padded fabric under the knees
- the carrier is made of twill cotton which is an extremely durable material but is also breathable and lets air in which makes it a perfect carrier even on warmer days
I personally love the Tula toddler carrier as my 3 year old daughter still wants to be uppy from time to time and I can carry her with me so easily. Even a few weeks pregnant on holiday in Sri Lanka it was super comfortable for me to carry her on my back. Would definitely recommend 🙂
Best carrier 2019
Tula Free to Grow
- With this carrier you can start to carry your little newborn baby and you can even carry your kid untill the age of 2! All with the same carrier. That’s pretty cool.
- No baby insert or other accessories needed, not even while carrying your newborn. So no extra costs and things you can loose.
- Adapt this carrier completely to your own wishes and those of your baby’s. You can easily change the width, height and the sitting for a lot of comfort for you as well for your little one.
- High quality fabric, ease of use for years and not too expensive: definitely so much value for money!
- So many cool, pretty and funky designs to choose from.
With such a high level of wearing comfort and so much value for money this Tula baby without infant insert is a real gem. Because of the fact you can carry your kid from newborn up to 2 years old (just like the Tula Explore and the Boba X carrier) it’s no expensive carrier.
best woven baby wrap
As a Dutchy myself I’m proud of this beautiful Dutch brand that is super popular not only in The Netherlands but world wide. That’s to say; many celebrities out there are carrying their kid in an Artipoppe wrap or an Artipoppe carrier. And that’s relatable because these wraps are made of such beautiful fabric and I just can’t get over some of these designs and prints. Artipoppe wraps are made of silk, linen, vegan cotton and even more options. You can go for mixed fabric ones or buy a 100% cotton wrap. It’s all up to you! The downside is that some of those wraps are really expensive, but that’s because the fabric is so special and they are all limited editions.
When my daughter was a little baby I used to carry her in a wrap I bought before she was even born. Back then I didn’t know if I would be a fan of carrying my baby so I only bought one wrap. Little did I know! I carried my daughter every single day in the wrap and after about six months I continued carrying her in a carrier -to be honest at the age of three (which she is now) I still carry her sometimes in a toddler wrap. Long story short: with a second baby on the way and my love for carrying and wraps I decided to give myself permission to buy one of these beautiful Artipoppe wraps. I went for a wrap made of 100% percent cotton which will be super comfortable for our little summer baby. Mama happy, baby happy 🙂
Read more about baby wearing and its benefits here on the La Leche League website